Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2008 11:28:30 AM EDT
Im totaly new to reloading and was thinking about starting with the Lee Hand Press Reloading Kit i dont have any room for a full sized press.  Has anyone used this kit and what do you think of it. Also what additional components do i need to reload .223 45-70 and 25-06

Lee Hand Press Reloading Kit
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/21/59/25/i215925sq01.jpg
Link Posted: 6/18/2008 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I had that set (came w/ free dies), years ago.....I thought that I could get in a few re-loads while on lunch or breaks at work.  I quickly found that it wasn't right for me.  I prefer more production.   Re-sizing straight walled pistol cases was easy.  Though, talk about a workout when doing bottle necked rifle cases.  So, in the end, I sold off the press and the primer seating parts  (made enough to have free dies for my troubles).  YMWV

IMHO......IF space is a problem, I can see that the hand press sounds like a good alternative to the traditional press.  However, I'd try and find the space needed to mount a small O press (like the RCBS Jr.) or small C press (Lee #90700), before I'd give up and buy a hand press.  IMHO....it'll be faster and easier to use, in the end.

Aloha, Mark

PS......LEE sells the Re-loader C Press w/manual (#90700) for a couple of dollars less then the Hand Press Kit (#90179).

www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1213818257.668=/html/catalog/rlpress1.html

You could just mount the press to a slab of wood and clamp that to a table w/ C clamps.
Link Posted: 6/18/2008 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#2]
well, I haven't used this hand press, but you would prolly be better served with a good single stage press like the rcbs rockchucker or lee classic cast press. it may require considerable force to resize 45-70 with the hand press. unless you live in your car, everyone has room for a single stage press. when i started reloading, i lived in an apartment and bolted my rockchucker to a piece of plywood and "c" clamped it to the kitchen table for use, and stored it in the closet when not in use.
you will need--
 dies
 loading manual
 powder scale
 caliper (to measure OAL of your cartridges)
 case lube
 primers/powder/bullets

read the tacked posts at the top of this forum if you havn't already, lots of great info there.
eta pic

Link Posted: 6/18/2008 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Build a bench or get one that you can stow away. Buy a new or used Dillon 550 and never look back.
Link Posted: 6/18/2008 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#4]
n8pgp,

Nice set up.

Hey, throw in your method to deal with trimming.  Re-take the picture and you'll have a great pic to show everyone that asks:  "What do I need to get started?"

Course, others may what more (tumbler, swage or reamer, pocket uniformers, etc...).

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 6/18/2008 12:02:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Skip the Lee hand press and get their Classic Cast single stage press and then add the Hornady LnL bushing conversion. I have both the Lee Classic cast Turret and Classic cast Single stage and actually like the single stage better-no flex in the press and die changes are extremely quick with the LnL bushing conversion.  Every reloader needs a good single stage in their kit and the Lee Classic cast is easily the best for the Money.
Link Posted: 6/19/2008 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#6]
nice setup n8pgp i think i might give that a try thanks
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I got the Lee Hand Press a few weeks ago, since I'm temporarily living in an apartment for the summer while I'm off working.  So far I like it for loading .223.  As long as the cases are lubed well it doesn't take much force to resize them.  But it'll definitely build up your pecs .  I think I've got close to 1K cases in various stages of being prepped.  

I just sit down on the couch after work with a container of about 200 cases and resize and deprime them.  It's pretty nice to not be stuck sitting at the kitchen table or something while I'm doing that.  It goes pretty fast, maybe an couple hours or so to do those 200 cases.  

I picked up a cheap, cheap cordless drill from wal mart, I think it was about $14.00 and use that when I ream the primer pockets and trim the cases.  For reaming I use the Hornady Small Primer Pocket Reamer tool.  It's made so you can't cut the primer pocket and deeper or larger than it needs to be.  I just chuck it up in the drill and hold the trigger down and hold the cases on there for a couple of seconds each, it works really well.  

I do the same to trim with the Lee trimmer setup and the cordless drill.  

I got the Lee balance beam scale and used that, the dipper from the die set, and a powder  trickler to work up my first couple different loads.  But it took forever to do each charge like that so I got a Lee Perfect Powder Measure for like 20 bucks and screwed it to a little piece of wood that I clamp to the table.  That sped up the process tremendously and throws charges just as accurate as I could get with the trickler.  

Heres a picture of everything I had to load .223

Link Posted: 6/20/2008 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Shows how much you can do with a minimum of equipment.

Good job.
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 8:56:04 PM EDT
[#9]
The best hand press is made by Meacham. They call it the "Anywhere Press". It is made to benchrest tolerances. Costs $100. It has plenty of leverage for FL sizing bottlenecked cases like the 308.

Anywhere Press

Link Posted: 6/22/2008 1:18:01 PM EDT
[#10]
have you used it for any other caliber
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 5:49:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Click on the link. The press uses standard dies.

So will load any caliber you have standard dies for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top